Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3. Hatem had always been a customer

Hatem had always been a customer of Gabe's restaurant during the time we were married and even before.  He was a tall, slender, engaging, and somewhat mysterious man with a heavy Egyptian accent.  His thick black wavy hair was combed back and his huge feet were covered in white Rebocks that seemed to glare like snow caps on a summer's day -- an odd characteristic that seemed to match his enigmatic personality, and I found it curious that I would notice both seemingly unrelated features and in sharp contract to each other at the same time.  I found myself being drawn like a magnet into an excitingly strange and unknown universe as he inquired about Gabe and the future of the restaurant, with an interest that heretofore had not been rendered by anyone else in my circle of family or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment